French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwich
I want to feature Grilled Cheese Sandwiches this month. I found this recipe for French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich at Tasty Kitchen and adapted it. Like I always say, “anything made with cheese is good”.
- 4 T Butter
- 4 tsp. butter to butter the bread
- 2 whole medium yellow onions, sliced ¼ of an inch thick
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 T white wine
- 4 slices bread (or any bread on hand)
- 4 slices of swiss cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and stir so they are coated in all the fat. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Stir and add in the salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir, cover the pan with a lid and let cook. Stir occasionally, until the onions are soft and deep golden in color. Reduce the heat if you notice the onions are browning too soon.
- Add in the wine, scrape any bits that accumulated on the bottom of the skillet, and then remove them off the heat.
- On a preheated griddle or large skillet, place a slice of buttered bread (butter-side down) and top it with a slice of cheese. Add half of the onion mixture and then, another slice of cheese. Top with a second slice of buttered bread (butter-side up).
- Flip when the bottom is crispy and golden; repeat on second side.
- Cut in half and serve.
Here is the way carmelized onions look in the pan.
I made some changes but if you want to see the original and a good pictural tutorial here. I used a mild colby cheese, but I would use swiss cheese the next time. I used colby because it’s difficult to get swiss cheese in here, in Honduras. Also, I used white bread, but I think sourdough bread. I would have to drive 3 hours to a grocery store in the city. This was absolutely, the best French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.