Bed and Breakfast Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake
This is a recipe that I received years ago at a Lancaster, PA bed and breakfast, which isn’t open, anymore. If you don’t try any of my other Try One New Recipe a Week recipes, you need to try this Bed and Breakfast Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake for sure.
You can make this the night before serving and slip it into the oven in the morning and have your family or guests arise to a wonderful aroma of baked goodies in the oven.
- 1 c butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1- 8 oz. carton sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1- 21 oz. can of pie filling-blueberry, cherry, peach, apple, etc.
- Crumb Topping:
- ¼ c flour
- ¼ c sugar
- ½ c chopped pecans
- 3 T butter softened
- Cream butter, gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Spread half of batter in a greased 13×9 baking dish. The batter is thick. Spread the pie filling on top of that and top with the remaining batter. It’s a little bit of a challenge.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Preheat oven to 375F and bake for 45 mins.
- Combine flour, sugar and pecans in butter until mixture resembles course meal.
It is a little bit of a challenge to spread this thick batter over top of the pie filling. Just do the best you can. You can see in the photo, below, that it isn’t perfect, but it comes out perfect.
If you want a healthier version, you can use whole wheat flour and it is just as good. Every time, I make this for my guests, and we get a lot of guests because of hosting teams, here, in Honduras, I get compliments. This is a wonderful Bed and Breakfast Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake. Come on and try it, no really, you need to try it.
This has been featured at:
We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.
[easyazon-block align=”left” asin=”B001RIY37K” locale=”us”]