Gramma’s Natural Home Remedies for Minor Burns
When you receive a minor burn, you want to decrease the pain and speed up healing. Natural Home Remedies for Minor Burns can help. If you experience a more serious burn, you need to seek medical attention.Not only sunburns, but when you burn your fingers or arms when cooking with splattered grease, steam, or even an iron you need to immediately run cold water over it for 5 to 10 minutes. Then use one of these home remedies.
What Would Gramma Do?
- Honey is known to disinfect and heal wounds. Apply honey to the burn or to a guaze bandage and then apply it to the burn. Change 3 times a day.
- Aloe Vera gel soothes, heals, and prevents scarring if directly applied, externally. Cut open an aloe leaf and apply to the burn. If you don’t have a plant, buy aloe vera gel at the store with very few additives. Best to buy it at a health food store.
- Oatmeal – As the burn heals, its becomes itchy. To relieve the itch, put oatmeal into the tub. Add 1 cup uncooked oatmeal into the bathtub of lukewarm water. Soak 15 to 20 minutes and then air dry so that a thin coating of oatmeal remains on your skin. Be very careful when getting in and out of the tub since the oatmeal makes surfaces slippery.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - apple cider vinegar prevents scars, speeds healing and relieves the pain of mild burns. Soak the burned area in a bowl of vinegar if possible or soak a clean cotton cloth in the vinegar and apply as a compress to the burned area. Once the pain subsides, dress the burn with a bandage soaked in apple cider vinegar or tape the compress in place. Change the dressing a few times per day, applying more vinegar at each application until the burn heals.
- Calendula tea - Another common home remedy for mild burns, calendula contains anti-inflammatory agents that help soothe and heal mild burns. Make calendula tea by steeping 1 tsp. dried flowers in 1 cup boiling water for 15 minutes, strain and allow the liquid to cool completely. Soak a clean cotton cloth in the cool tea and apply as a compress directly to the burn for the best results. You may also purchase calendula tea bags at natural health stores and prepare the tea according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Milk- soothes burns. For a minor burn, soak the burned area in milk for 15 minutes or so. You may also apply a cloth soaked in milk to the area. Repeat every few hours to relieve pain. Be sure to wash out the cloth after use, as it will sour quickly.
- Black tea bags - The tannic acid found in black tea helps draw heat from a burn. Put 2 to 3 tea bags under a spout of cool water and collect the tea in a small bowl. Gently dab the liquid on the burn site.
- Salt - Mouth burns can be relieved by rinsing with salt water every hour or so. Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt in 8 ounces warm water.
- Plain whole yogurt – apply to burn several times a day.
- Raw potato - scrape a raw potato and apply it to the burn. I would think that you reapply several times a day.
It is said that the kitchen is the number one room where the most burns occur. So use precautions in the kitchen. Next time, you burn yourself, use these Natural Home Remedies for Minor Burns. Take a look at this Instant Natural Sunburn First Aide Secrets.
If you need pure aloe vera gel or calendula tea, you can buy it below at Amazon.
We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.