PA Dutch Chicken Corn Rivel Soup
Being from PA Dutch country, I enjoy many recipes that are known to the PA Dutch. Many know Chicken Corn Noodle Soup but we make “rivals” or a homemade pasta. I think that this PA Dutch Chicken Corn Rivel Soup is a “comfort soup” and good when you are sick.
photo from recipe lion
This is that kind of recipe that you just throw together without measuring, but I’m going to try my hardest to put it into recipe form.
- 4 qt. water
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 to 4 carrots sliced or chopped
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 whole chicken or 3 leg quarters
- 2 T parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste (at least 1½ T salt) it takes a lot of salt to bring out the flavor
- 1 to 2 cans of corn-depending on your preference
- Extra water to fill to top of soup pot
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- Put the 4 qts. of water in soup pot with onion, carrots, celery, parsley, salt, pepper, and chicken. (you are making your own chicken broth-you don’t need boullion or canned broth) Bring to a boil and lower temperature to simmer for an hour. Remove chicken to plate and cool.
- Mix together ingredients for the rivels with your fingers or a fork. It will be crumbly. Now bring the pot of soup to a rolling boil and drop the dough into the soup. Rub the dough in little amounts between your fingers as you drop it into the pot. It will not be nice uniform pieces. They should be pea to grape size. Just tear off little pieces and rub between your fingers.
- Remove chicken from bone and return chicken meat to pot of soup. Cook for at least 30 to 45 minutes. I cook my soup for 2 hours from beginning to end. Remember to taste and salt to taste.
Rivels look crumbly like in the photo below, when you mix it together.
I remember my grammy making rivels for a sweet milk soup when I was a very little girl of 3 to 5 years old. As I grew older my mother made chicken corn rivel soup and now I make it and it brings back childhood memories.
Another chicken based soup recipe I guarantee that you will love is Italian Wedding Soup.
PA Dutch Chicken Corn Rivel Soup is just what the doctor ordered for a winter cold. It always does a body good!
We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.