Italian Sausage Bean Soup
Yes, I know this isn’t January anymore, but I wanted to give you this one last soup recipe. A while back, I found this recipe for Italian Sausage Bean Soup but it wasn’t hearty enough for me, so I altered it. I don’t know where I saw it but it was in a magazine. It’s tastes nothing like Sausage Stew, which you can find here.
- 1½ lb. ground or loose Italian sausage, browned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. basil
- 2 – 15 oz. cans of kidney beans
- 2 – 15 oz. cans of black beans (substitute with beans of choice)
- 2 – 15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 6 c beef broth
- half of a head of medium cabbage, coarsely shredded
- salt and pepper to taste.
- ½ tsp. dried pepper flakes
- 1¼ c barley
- grated parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage, add chopped onion, minced garlic and saute 4 minutes. Add basil, beans, tomatoes,coarsely shredded cabbage, and broth. Cook for half of an hour. Add barley and simmer for another 45 minutes or until the barley is finished. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
If the soup doesn’t have enough liquid after cooking the barley, add more beef broth or water. When adding more water you may have to add more spices or salt and pepper. Top with parmesan cheese and serve with a salad or your favorite bread and enjoy your Italian Sausage Bean Soup.
We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.