Bacon Corn Pancakes
I’m going to be featuring some breakfast or brunch dishes the rest of this month. You know that they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you Break the Fast, you are recharging your bodies cells and brain. People think that if they don’t eat breakfast that they will lose weight, when it has the opposite effect. Skipping breakfast is strongly linked to obesity. I’m going to start the breakfast features with Bacon Corn Pancakes.
Let’s start with these ingredients below: This is adapted from Recipe Girl.
- 8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- ⅓ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen, canned or fresh corn
- ⅔ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or mild cheddar cheese
- serve with warm maple syrup
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon pieces until they begin to brown. Add the onion and continue to cook until the bacon is crisp and the onion is softened. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the bacon mixture for topping the griddle cakes upon serving- and set it aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine the flour, chives, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk, egg and oil, just until moistened. Stir in the bacon mixture, corn and cheese. The mixture will be thick. If you’d like the griddle cakes to be slightly thinner than those pictured, add a little more milk to thin out the batter.
- Heat and grease a griddle or large skillet. Pour a heaping ¼-cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook until it is golden brown- 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve stacks of griddle cakes topped with a sprinkle of the reserved bacon/onion and a good dose of warm maple syrup.
- Makes 8 – 4 inch pancakes This may serve 3 people. They’re heavy.
I was skeptical when I saw these and my husband was even more than I was. We had company and I served this, warning them that I didn’t know how they would taste…kind of like they were guinea pigs. To everyone’s surprise, we did enjoy these pancakes. How can you go wrong with bacon and cheese in anything? They are a heavier kind of pancake, so you may not be able to eat as many as usual, and they are good served with warm maple syrup. These unique Bacon Corn Pancakes are winners in my book.
For another delicious recipe for breakfast go here.
These have been featured here:
We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.
These are made easily on an electric grill. If you need one, they have them now at Amazon at a great price.
[easyazon-block align=”left” asin=”B0051XSIO6″ locale=”us”]